Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas is about family, not going to church!

Wait, what?

No, seriously, apparently that's where we are now. My mind boggles that people would decided that because Christmas falls on a Sunday, they shouldn't go to church. If that's where we are, not just as a culture, but as Christians, then we've really lost touch with the whole point. Even worse to me is the startling number of churches that cancelled services pre-emptively. I mean to say, really.

A certain subset of my in-laws even said this to me earlier today. Surprise was expressed that church where I attend was not cancelled and they commented that it makes sense to cancel church so you can spend time with your family. Not only is this misguided in a general way about what the meaning of Christmas is, but I think this also bespeaks a distance and lack of closeness between people who are supposed to be our family. The Bible speaks over and over about how our fellow Christians are our brothers, and to shun them because we're going to be with family in the strictly biological and legal sense seems short-sighted to me.

Link from FT.

No comments:

Post a Comment