Saturday, September 29, 2012

Beer Photos #11: Stone Smoked Porter

Stone is one of those brewers that looms large, at least on the beer landscape which I inhabit. You can find their beer here locally just about everywhere that sells beer, whether it's the grocery store or the speciality bottle shop. I have to say, I wasn't terribly impressed by their Smoked Porter. It's not bad, but it's not great either. I suppose I'm a bit spoiled by having Alaskan Smoked Porter available most of the time as well; this might seem better were it not in competition. Stone isn't one of the breweries I like a lot, but they seem pretty dedicated to the IPA market (3 of 7 year-round beers are IPAs and a fourth is a basic pale ale) so perhaps that was inevitable. Folks I respect are pretty high on them when it comes to IPAs so I expect it's not them, it's me.

Oh, and yes, I was watching QI on YouTube shortly before Christmas (hence the return of the festive mug).

No comments:

Post a Comment