Saturday, October 6, 2012

Beer Photos #12: Alaskan Perseverance Ale

This is my favourite beer of all-time; an imperial stout: Alaskan's Perseverance Ale. I've tried just about 120 different beers since I took up drinking (crazy thing to say) last year and this is by far the best. Sadly, because it was a one-time deal for the 25th anniversary of the Alaskan Brewing Company, I'll probably never drink it again. Still, it lives in memory. It had sweet notes, coffee, dark chocolate, a hint of smokiness, was big, malty and thick and everything an imperial stout ought to be. If I were to run across it tomorrow in a bottle shop, I'd buy all of it they'd let me and draft my friends to come get the rest for me if there were a limit. I'm a little surprised that so many of the reviews you see on the internet discount it so much, but I'm going to chalk that up to being a stout/porter man living in an IPA world.

This was my Christmas Eve beer last year while the wife and I got the presents placed and stockings stuffed. And, indeed, that label does say "birch syrup" and "fireweed honey". Dang, but it was good. This also marks the point where I don't have to use these mugs any longer and the snazzy glassware I was given that Christmas starts showing up in the photos next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment