Saturday, August 20, 2011

Was it really green?

The problem with black and white movies is that you can't tell what colour things are supposed to be. For example, though I have learned that Harpo Marx was known for wearing a red wig, I watched Marx Bros. movies too many times before I found that out. I can't conceive of the wig as being anything other than blond, though I know it is not.

I watched Green for Danger the other night which was a British film; a murder mystery set in a hospital during the Second World War. Now, because I couldn't see the colours of anything with distinction, I assumed that the "green" from the title referred to the colour of the scrubs since the important murders took place in the operating room. Had I been able to see the colours of the other objects I might have been able to piece together the mystery more effectively.

The movie as a whole was pretty well done. I enjoyed the character of the detective immensely. I like detectives to be competent and I have a weakness for witty dialogue. (See Marlowe, Philip.) There was a twist at the end which was necessary for a bit of misdirection to work, but I still didn't like it. On the whole, as I said however, it was a good film. Short too, only 90 minutes or so. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment