Saturday, March 3, 2012

Why I don't use Wikipedia

Tycho of Penny Arcade wrote a post many moons ago, in conjunction with a comic illustrating his thesis, about why it is that Wikipedia is not the great thing it claims to be. This post and comic are relatively family-friendly (excepting the vulgar intensifier I redacted in the selection below), but if you're not familiar with their work, be warned. Tycho and his cohort Gabe are in no wise respectful of taboos.
The second response is:  the collaborative nature of the apparatus means that the right data tends to emerge, ultimately, even if there is turmoil temporarily as dichotomous viewpoints violently intersect.  To which I reply:  that does not inspire confidence.  In fact, it makes the whole effort even more ridiculous.  What you’ve proposed is a kind of quantum encyclopedia, where genuine data both exists and doesn’t exist depending on the precise moment I rely upon your discordant ****ing mob for my information.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... the experiment is an interesting one, but to rely on it for anything other than amusement or an overview of current controversy is ludicrous:) At least now we know the name of Schrödinger's cat.

    I loved "The Time Garden" by Edward Eager, by the by. And the Egotist's Club is a favorite of mine. PDBW FTW:) Altho I was rather surprised at how much I liked "Gaudy Night" after the first read-through.

    ReplyDelete