Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Birthday America

Oh, and Canucks who don't like me using "America" as shorthand for U.S. of A.? I can't hear it when whiny people talk.

I have, as I have grown older and been less interested in the outcome of politics (since I know we'll never really solve any problems with them, the goal has become more to keep them from being actively evil), I have become more ambivalent about the American founding. Well, the founding itself is all well and good, but the revolution troubles my mind. The more I read in Paul's letters about how we are to defer to the government where and when possible and to focus our efforts on our fellow man and keep our eyes on heaven, the more I wonder if I can support any sort of armed insurrection against authority.

Be that as it may, it is not really a suitable topic for deep exploration on a day of celebration, and there is indeed much to celebrate about our great land. And, if I may misuse Shakespeare to my own ends, I'll say that the country is established and, being in, I'll bear't that the opposed may beware of me. Enjoy your celebrations all: may you enjoy good food, good company and wake up tomorrow with all your digits attached and in good working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment