Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday Movie Reviews #5: Arthur

So, there were a couple problems. One, I didn't watch this movie in time. Two, I didn't end up watching the whole thing. I watched the end and bits and pieces throughout. Three, it was really stupid. This isn't a proper review, but you get what you pay for, hey?

I thought I liked Dudley Moore. But, now that I reflect on the movies in which I've seen him, Bedazzled, Crazy People, and now Arthur (also Foul Play, but he didn't have a major role), I realize I liked the first two movies without that having a lot to do with actually liking Dudley Moore in them.

This movie relies heavily on drunk humour. That is to say, the humour that derives from the ridiculous actions of persons who are drunk. Primarily, this means Dudley Moore. I think part of my distaste comes from my problem with finding situations where people are mortified to be funny. I have difficulty finding humour in the presentation of someone actually being in distress.

Also, Liza Minelli was not at all convincing as a love interest. Not only is she naturally kinda funny-looking, she had the worst haircut since Flock of Seagulls. It was like Joan Jett from I Love Rock and Roll, but worse.

The one redeeming quality of this film? John Gielgud. Not only is he a great actor, he has the best lines in this movie. He's not enough to save the film, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, but if you've got nothing better and you're bored out of your mind, try to focus on his lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment