Sunday, May 29, 2011

Merry Madrigals

I was listening to my music library on a random setting and Del cibo, onde il signor came on. Not, of course, that anyone should necessarily recognize that title, but it's the third track of an album I ran across years ago (I no longer remember how) that is madrigals written by a Luca Marenzio for 5 and 6 voices. You can listen to samples at that link.

I'm not much of a music snob mostly since I don't have the musical ability to be so. But I do find that the music which I enjoy more than almost any other and find most impressive does tend to be older music. I don't want to say that all the music of today is crap, though a lot is, but I think it ends up being a lot like literature to some degree. The good stuff of yesteryear has been shaken out and preserved and a lot of the chaff is blown away in the winds of time. (Such metaphors!)

No comments:

Post a Comment