Sunday, May 29, 2011

Well, yes. Everything's political.

My brother's post in which he says "Every human action therefore is an economic action" seems a bit over the top to me. I mean, sure, if you define economics so broadly to encompass all subjective valuation to be a part of economics then most human actions are economic. (Reflex actions may still be safely excluded, I'd think.) It reminded me of the line I used as the title of the post. It's from Fiddler on the Roof when Perchik is proposing marriage "in a theoretical sense" to Hodel.

This sense of the world that can be viewed entirely through an economic or political prism seems to me to be far too materialist. This "theory of everything" type of belief smacks to me of the tyrannies imposed by those who would deny the role of the immaterial. Everything is political or economic only if that is the lens you choose to make your primary method of looking at the world. Frankly, I'd rather not discount all other approaches out of hand, for if you do... well, that way madness lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment