Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Not a Nullity

On the recommendation of John C. Wright I read The World of Null-A recently. It wasn't bad, I suppose. I guess I can kinda see how it would be like watching Citizen Kane. It was ground-breaking at the time, but now that everyone has stolen the techniques, it doesn't stand out like it did when it first appeared. I was kept intrigued by the way a bit of a mystery element was woven in and I enjoyed the plot that dealt with a man being manipulated to behave in a certain way that used even his own knowledge of the manipulation to successfully manipulate him. (Had to read that sentence twice to make sure it came out correctly.)

I'm not sure I'll read another book in the same world, but I am interested enough by the quality of the writing to look into Slan, which is another SF novel by AE Van Vogt. I'd only recommend this one to others who are looking to expand their reading in the area of classic SF.

No comments:

Post a Comment