Sunday, April 29, 2012

A day late and a dollar short

So, I was supposed to get this posted by yesterday, but it didn't work out. (I was tired and those DVDs from Netflix weren't going to watch themselves!)

It's kind of ironic that the first week of the book challenge that I knew exactly what I was going to write about beforehand was also the first week that I failed to get it done during the week itself. Ah, but it is an unjust world, and virtue is only triumphant in theatrical performances. On to the question of best love story. Without a doubt in my mind (though The Princess Bride does run a good race) Anna Karenina wins going away.

What? NO! Not Anna and Vronsky! Those miserable adulterers who ruined their own lives and those of all their nearest and dearest? How could you think it? The title itself is a clever bit of misdirection to keep people from realizing what the story is actually all about.

The best love story is that of Levin and Kitty. Their love for each other goes through realistic trials and troubles and builds to a solid marriage through their dedication to making it work. I found myself nodding my head and marvelling over and over about why I hadn't read this book sooner. The reason, of course, is that movie adaptations give this, the main storyline, short-shrift and focus on the feint, the sub-plot about Anna and Vronsky. Hands down, this is the best love story I've ever read.

Tolstoy captures so much of how real couples often interact and feel (at least, from the perspective I know).

Kitty is speaking to Levin about their living in Moscow instead of on their estate in the country.
"As it is, I'm worrying you all, and we're wasting our money."

"Not at all, not at all. Not once since I've been married have I said that things could have been better than they are...."

"Truly?" she said, looking into his eyes.

He had said it without thinking, simply to console her. But when he glanced at her and saw those sweet truthful eyes fastened questioningly on him, he repeated it with his whole heart.
 Which of you married men hasn't been there, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment