Monday, May 7, 2012

An incomplete collection

Number three on my list of authors by whom I own the most books is someone who is pretty much guaranteed to climb further up since I intend on eventually owning nearly all of the books he wrote and I'm not nearly there yet.

In a respectable, but impermanent third place is Rex Stout with 26. Every single one of the books I own by him is a Nero Wolfe mystery; though he did write a few others with other characters, Wolfe was far and away the most common main character.

Rex Stout books:
  1. Homicide Trinity
  2. Trouble in Triplicate
  3. And Four to Go
  4. Some Buried Caesar
  5. Black Orchids
  6. Too Many Cooks
  7. The League of Frightened Men
  8. Fer-de-Lance
  9. The Silent Speaker
  10. The Red Box
  11. Death of a Doxy
  12. Trio for Blunt Instruments
  13. Three for the Chair
  14. Three at Wolfe's Door
  15. Prisoner's Base (two copies)
  16. Three Doors to Death
  17. Three Witnesses
  18. A Right to Die
  19. The Second Confession
  20. The Doorbell Rang
  21. The Mother Hunt
  22. Plot it Yourself
  23. Death of a Dude
  24. Over My Dead Body
  25. If Death Ever Slept
I need to find someone who wants the extra copy I have of Prisoner's Base; but even without counting that I'd still have 25 and that's good enough for third place. Fitting, since so many of the books have titles that refer to the number three. This is because Stout wrote a number of stories for magazines and then later collected them in groups into books since they were none of them long enough to make a full novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment