Thursday, May 3, 2012

Naming Conventions

This week the book challenge is to list names from books you'd be willing to saddle your kids with. Or something like that. Unlike the lovely Muses from the other club, this is less of an academic exercise for me. Not only have I gone through the naming process twice for my own offspring (I won't go so far as to call them the "fruit of my loins", as my father-in-law is fond of doing in regards to his own children; though in most cases the KJV provides wonderful phrases), but, with my wife due to give birth to our third child before the month is out, we are in the midst of doing it in earnest for the third time.

So what names have we chosen/will we choose that come from our favourite books?

None. Which is to say, the names we've chosen are names that do sometimes appear in books, but none were chosen because it was in a book. In fact, despite thinking about this for a while now, I'm not sure I know of any names I would particularly want to give my son or daughter for the reason that it was the name of a book character.

Many names of my favourite characters are not names that I particularly like. Edmond, Jane, Stephen, John, Konstantin, Barret, Haydée, etc. It's not that I dislike them, but neither are they names of which I am particularly fond.

But! If pressed; if forced to choose I would choose from Tolkien. And there could be only one choice. The greatest of all elves, Fingolfin. What made him greatest? He was the one elf that Morgoth feared. Think about that for a second. The Devil was afraid of him. And, though he did not ultimately defeat him, Fingolfin was the reason Morgoth was lame.

1 comment:

  1. Fingolfin is a pretty awesome guy. And "Finn" is a popular name at the moment . . . it could work!

    ReplyDelete