Thursday, May 10, 2012

Really? You're counting those as books?

Yes. Yes, I am. The second place entry on my list of authors is one Stan Sakai. That sounds well until I tell you that most of the books are trade-paperback collections of comic books. That sounds bad until you've actually read some of his work and realize that, despite the talking, anthropomorphic animals, the stories have real depth. There is comedy, tragedy, and drama in these stories because they're well done tales of Japan in the feudal era and the characters just happen to have fur and whiskers on occasion.

I guess I could put it this way: I don't read comics, but I do read Usagi Yojimbo.

  1. The Ronin
  2. Samurai
  3. The Wanderer's Road
  4. The Dragon Bellow Conspiracy
  5. Lone Goat and Kid
  6. Circles
  7. Gen's Story
  8. Shades of Death
  9. Daisho
  10. The Brink of Life and Death
  11. Seasons
  12. Grasscutter
  13. Grey Shadows
  14. Demon Mask
  15. Grasscutter II
  16. The Shrouded Moon
  17. Duel at Kitanoji
  18. Travels with Jotaro
  19. Fathers and Sons
  20. Glimpses of Death
  21. The Mother of the Mountains
  22. Tomoe's Story
  23. Bridge of Tears
  24. Yokai
  25. Return of the Black Soul
  26. Fox Hunt
  27. The Art of Usagi Yojimbo: 20th Anniversary Edition
  28. Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition (two volumes)
It's an epic tale that really kicks into high gear around book 6, Circles. Don't get me wrong, the earlier stories are good too, but it was around then that Sakai appears to have realized that he had a long term character which he could deal with in depth and not merely telling one-offs. You can see the art evolve as it goes along too. The early books were still good, but some of the later books have amazing panels that any artist would envy, I think.

2 comments:

  1. If you like Usagi Yojimbo, give Lone Wolf and Cub a try.

    To paraphrase you - I don't read manga, but I do (did) read "Lone Wolf and Cub"

    Unlike Usagi Yojimbo, LW&C is a finite story with a definitive ending, but it is an awesome 28 volumes long and has stunning artwork.

    Try to picture what Usagi Yojimbo might have looked like if it was not an anthropomorphic story!

    In my opinion, Usagi Yojimbo is the best comic out there, and Lone Wolf and Cub is the best manga ever published.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did read the entire Lone Wolf and Cub series. In fact, I owned the whole set at one point. It was a pretty fantastic tale and I might read them again sometime. They do have a lot more graphic violence and a majority of the books have pretty explicit depictions of sex too. Not only that, by the end of the book the sex gets pretty unusual. They bothered my wife a great deal, so I got rid of them.

    Thanks for commenting; drop by any time!

    ReplyDelete