Sunday, July 24, 2011

Free will or determinism?

People argue over (or debate, if you prefer) whether we choose our actions (free will), or those actions are chosen for us by some combination of our genes, our environment, our limbic and other brain functions - what have you in the physical world - or even by God Himself (determinism). There are a lot of very sophisticated arguments on both sides, and I even thought of a game theory argument, not so much as to disproving determinism, but rather to prove that one should not hold it as a view - a sort of paraphrase of Pascal's wager. (Not well read, I am completely ignorant of whether Pascal himself dealt with free will.)

But really, I am a barbarian of a philosopher, and the way I see it is this: if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, shoot it and fry it, Peking-style. If it looks like people are choosing what they do, and you feel like you made a choice between two or more options, they are and you did. Free will. If you try to tell me free will is an illusion, I may choose to hit you in the head. I warned you, I'm a bit of a barbarian.

1 comment: