Sunday, July 31, 2011

Preaching to the choir

I read a short book titled A Reader's Manifesto that has seen an odd publishing life. It started as a small book called Gorgons in the Pool that was published as a vanity publication from Amazon; only 100 were printed. 20 were sent by the author around to various news outlets as review copies and no more were ever sold from Amazon except to the author himself. It was eventually noticed by The Atlantic Monthly and they ran a slimmed down and modified version of the book in their magazine, after which people began to sit up and take notice a bit more. This edition is the filled out original version with some edits and to include a section that responds to some of the criticism he received in response to the essay version in The Atlantic.

Oh, no... Looks like we're going to have to jump!

I didn't really need this book; I have a 50 year rule that protects me from the worst of modern literary excesses.
Rule: I do not read fiction that was published less than 50 years ago unless it is recommended by two people whose judgement I trust *or* one person whose judgement I trust if another person whose judgement I do not yet know also recommends it.
Still and all, it was a short book and it helped reinforce me in the knowledge that my rule is a good one. The author, BR Myers, has done yeoman's work in reading through the dreck he criticizes and points out that it is often for its very flaws that such modern novels are praised. The book is of small dimensions and is only 134 pages, it's worth picking up if you're wondering why you're having a tough time with books that are so great or if you understand the weaknesses of modern literature and want to revel in someone finally giving them their just desserts. He also sprinkles suggestions for older literature that surpasses the modern stuff in their own veins so you can find books of a similar nature that are actually, well, good.

No comments:

Post a Comment