Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Movie Reviews #7: My Favorite Wife

Not my favourite movie. I like Cary Grant, it seems, more in the abstract than in actual movies. I like North by Northwest, which has Cary Grant and I also like him in... Hum. Give me a second, I'm sure I'll come up with something... Okay, I'm going to IMDB and look him up... Arsenic and Old Lace! I liked that! Yeah, that's not much.

My Favorite Wife was okay, I guess. The premise was pretty good, that a man's wife who was lost at sea returns after seven years and being declared dead just as the man gets remarried. (Gail Patrick is excellent as the new wife, by the way, just as she was brilliant in My Man Godfrey. Apparently she went on to be an Executive Producer of the Perry Mason show. Huh.) Irene Dunne is not terribly convincing as a devoted wife, Randolph Scott swishes a bit more than in the Western's I've seen him in and Cary Grant is the most weak-willed, namby-pamby husband in the world. I hate it in movies when people are too timid to do something that shouldn't be that big of a deal. Particularly when it gets harder and harder the longer you put it off. Surely, couldn't he just say that his first wife turned up? I mean, the new wife is bound to find out eventually.

Anyway, the movie had it's mildly amusing moments, but they weren't necessarily derived from the plot. Most were such that they could have been in any film about a husband and wife with any sort of dispute. The movie might be worthwhile to fill an idle hour if you have nothing better to do, but I wouldn't say it's one to seek out.

No comments:

Post a Comment