Thursday, August 16, 2012

On Reading

I'm terribly fond of reading. One of my favourite lines is from Pride and Prejudice describing my favourite character from that book, Mr Bennet: "With a book he was regardless of time." Not only does it have a wonderfully archaic meaning for "regardless", but it describes how I get with a good book. Not always a good thing when one has work in the morning.

I sometimes find it difficult, however, to start new books. I'm leery of authors I haven't read for many of the same reasons that I'm leery of meeting new people. So often new books prove to be a disappointment, but, unlike people, it is possible to escape the acquaintance. On the other hand, it is time you're unlikely to get back.

This leads to a lot of re-reading. Old books are like old friends. I enjoy reading them through over and over in many cases, but also just dipping into them for scenes, lines, and portions that are particularly pleasing. I've noted previously how moving the section of the third Aubrey-Maturin book is where Stephen befriends the child Dil. I was re-reading The Truelove the other day as well and was struck by the sadness of Clarissa Oakes' childhood as well. But I'd like to read something new and wonderful again.

It feels like it's been some time since I last discovered an author that affected me in a similarly deep way to the books mentioned above. Not for want of trying; about 5/8 of the 80-odd books I've read so far this year have been new to me. I guess not all of them were new authors, but most were. I think the last author discovery of significance was Gene Wolfe and it's been over a year since I found his books. I think I'm due. Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment