Sunday, November 13, 2011

There needs to be a different past tense for "cut"

It's just baffling reading some sentences and trying to figure out what the author means. Usually, this is due to poor grammar, clunky syntax: some imperfection that can be laid squarely at the feet of the author. However, sometimes, very rarely, the author does everything right, and the reader is nevertheless befuddled, due entirely to a failing of the English language itself. This is because "cutted" is not a word. Why not? I suppose someone thought he was being mighty clever. [Prepare for the jump into hyperblog...]

Meanwhile, I just read this:

Plenty of teenage boys cut their employment teeth filling people's tanks, checking their oil, and airing up their tires. When not pumping gas, these kids poked their heads in the attached garage and learned from the mechanics.


Why did these kids, who cut their employment teeth filling at gas stations, quit poking their heads in the attached garage? Perhaps in the next paragraph we'll find out.

Gas pumps don't sit out in front of service garages anymore. You pump your own gas, pay your own bill, and go inside if you're hungry for a Twinkie, or in some places a McDonald's hamburger or DQ sundae. In Las Vegas, you can fill up, go inside, and play video poker.

So... wait. ??? They still cut their - oooohhhh... cut! I get it! It was the past tense cut! That little three-letter rascal increased my comprehension time for those two paragraphs from about a minute up to about three minutes, and completely distracted me from finishing the article, compelling me to blog about past tenses of irregular verbs in English. It cost me too much of my life.

So who's with me? Anybody else for coming up with past tenses for verbs that lack distinct past tense forms?

1 comment:

  1. No, somehow I read it correctly the first time through. Perhaps it was because I was prepared for it since you were talking about it, but it may just be a matter of chance. Or perhaps I unconsciously revised my ideas once I got to the past tense of "poke" in the next sentence.

    ReplyDelete