Monday, September 5, 2011

British cinema

If I recall correctly, using England technically only refers to that part of the British Isles which is the historical country of England, though it is used (and has been used in the past) to refer to the entire collections of unified countries in a casual way. Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland and the United Kingdom is the aforementioned along with Northern Ireland. Or maybe I have those two backwards? Hum.

Anyway, I watched a movie from Netflix recently (suggested to me since I was interested in Green for Danger) entitled I Know Where I'm Going. A fair judgement of its merits would probably rank it fairly low. It was a bit predictable and obvious, but I enjoyed a great deal because it was something of a romantic comedy that took place in Scotland. Having some ancestral ties to that land disposed me to be fonder of the movie than I might have been otherwise. Also, the male lead had one of the coolest names I've run across. His name was Torquil; apparently this name means "Thor's Helmet". Which, unless you named your kid "Thor's Hammer", is about the most manly name one could come up with.

Anyway, it's not a movie most people would probably be interested in unless you make a particular point to see films that have a characteristic that this one has. It does have its moments and it was fun to see how they didn't bother to subtitle the Gaelic, but it won't have a wide appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment