Thursday, September 22, 2011

I like porters and stouts

I can understand (and even drink) ales, lagers, etc., but they just don't stand up to the rich fullness of the flavor of a good stout or porter. On the other hand, the appeal of mass-market beer is inexplicable to me - why would anyone want to drink something like Budweiser, Coors, or Michelob, or any brand with more CO2 than flavor? I'm not into fancy Belgian fruity beers, but I understand the point, and someday I might get into them. I don't care if you judge me. Assuming one of the countless drinkers of flavorless American beer (or foreign beer that emulates American insipidness) happens to be reading this, would you mind telling me why you buy something like Miller Light? At least, if it's for anything other than a drinking game, why? If the point is to get drunk, liquor can do that faster and, I think, cheaper. Of course, that has flavor. I suppose the idea is to get drunk without having to taste anything at all.

Anyway, back to porters and stouts. I have not yet learned what it is that I find more agreeable in one stout than in another, but I thought Guinness was unappealing when I had it. Someone told me that the Guinness sold in the U.S. is predominantly a whole different bird from (or to) that sold in Ireland and the U.K., unless you get the "Foreign Extra," which I have not yet tried, unfortunately. I do like other stouts, especially ones I never before would have considered buying because of their price, which friends have shared with me. One of these is Bluegrass Brewing Co. Bourbon Barrel Stout, a magnificent beer that has all the richness of a stout, with the bite and warmth of a hint of bourbon. It is perhaps my favorite beer, but unfortunately it costs $12 for four. Then again, that's how much it costs to buy four Bud Lights at a bar or restaurant, making the Bourbon Barrel Stout look like a steal.

Another in the running for favorite, and a more affordable option, is the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout, a beer that tastes good in the same way the darkest chocolate does, with a kind of roasted bitterness that makes your taste buds really know they're alive. This one is only $10 for six, making it one of the most affordable beers of this level of quality, or alternatively, the best beer I've tasted at this price level.

One surprising contender for best value for your money is the (don't laugh) Kirkland Stout. Yes, that Kirkland - Costco's house brand. I don't shop at Costco, and I don't have the exact price, but it is almost certainly the most affordable stout available today. It is not one of the best stouts I've ever had, but it's not the worst, either. Unfortunately, it was long enough ago that I don't remember the details of the flavor, but it was more palatable than the U.S. version of Guinness. That's not saying a lot, but it's a lot cheaper than Guinness, too.

Okay, I'm not a frequent buyer of beer, and (though I'm one who does not often turn down an offered beer) I'm not a frequent beer drinker, either, so I have relatively little to say on the matter. I hope to try a wider variety of stouts, porters, bocks, schwarzbier, etc., and have more intelligence on the matter soon. Also, I hope that this might spark some discussion, if K (or a reader) has some opinion or data about beer. (For instance, I've heard a rumor that a certain brother of mine has concocted a beer float - something of which I would like to know more.)

1 comment:

  1. I have also heard tell of a secret recipe for carrot-cake soup...

    ReplyDelete