Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thanks for the memories

I won't spend a lot of time describing the plot since I don't want to give too much away and since I've already done it once, but I do have to note that I finished reading Latro in the Mist and it was spectacular.

Part of my enjoyment may derive from the fact that I have a bit of knowledge about Greeks from the time of Herodotus. I'm no expert, by any means, but having read Herodotus and Thucydides (in translation, of course) and a couple books about the wars of that time much that I read was familiar including some of the characters that Latro runs across in the course of his adventures.

Even without any familiarity with the time and place, I can't recommend the book highly enough. I don't think I've enjoyed a story this much since I read the Aubry-Maturin series for the first time. The book ends without a great deal of plot resolution, but in a manner consistent with the tale. Not to fear, however, since there is another book that was written later that picks up our hero's tale again. I'm reading Soldier of Sidon now and, while it doesn't grip quite as much as the first book, I'm enjoying it; I'll post a brief review of it when I finish in another day or two.

Go get and read Latro in the Mist. Do it now. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment